Sunday, October 16, 2011

Is it writing block?

I have been having a hard time writing this blog lately. Either I can't think of a topic, or events seem all too similar, or........... I guess I will admit to a bit of writing block. Today we decided to do something quite different and drove to Fort Worth. We really had several goals in mind and started by visiting the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth. It took persistence and the help of a kind policeman to find this museum but we finally succeeded. The art works housed here fit the intent of the museum. They were clearly modern. I think. Foxy kept saying, "Where is Phyllis when you need her?" "She would know what to say about these exhibits or at least make up a good story." In addition there was a second story full of works by Richard Diebenkorn. His works were basically alike and it did not take us long to look and depart. I know that my cultural activity arrow went down considerably since I had serious trouble not laughing throughout. So I accept that my cultural couth level has been lowered. I shall not return here.

Our second goal was to visit a wonderful barbecue place, Coopers, which is located in the stock yard district. We also were about to run out of our bottle of Cooper's Dry Rub which we really enjoy especially on fish. Lunch was splendid with sausage, briskit, and pork as well as pinto beans, potato salad, and cole slaw. We washed this feast down with cold beer and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Back to the world of museums this time visiting the Kimbell Art Museum which was having an exhibit of Caravaggio and his followers. This is the only museum in the country to have this exhibit and it was splendid. This, in my opinion, was superb art which the first museum totally lacked. This artist brings you the viewer into the painting and his treatment of ordinary people is wonderful as is his work on more religious themes.

Finally we ended our visit to Fort Worth by driving through downtown and visiting Sundance Square shops looking for sports memorabilia which proved to be too expensive. We are glad that the Texas Rangers won the American League playoffs and look forward to their participation in the World Series of Baseball this next week. We will have to look elsewhere to get the shirt. Maybe my writing block is gone. Happy travels.

No comments: