Monday, June 30, 2008

Monday, June 30 and Snoozing

It is already the end of June, and now we begin the second half of 2008. Why do these years go so fast???? My brother Maurice is 72 today and a very happy birthday to him and many more celebrations for sure!!!!

Last night we went to a World Youth Symphony Orchestra concert with Kim, Chuck, and their two boys ages 4 and 6. They played a brief Stravinsky number called the Symphonies of Wind instruments, and I approved of the brevity of the piece. Then on to Beethoven's No. 2 Symphony which was well-done and played at a slightly faster tempo, but the best part was the third piece, Candide by Leonard Bernstein which was played at a breathless pace and just lovely. How these young musicians managed to maintain this fast tempo is beyond me, but they earned their standing ovation. Christian, our four year old grandson, managed to fall asleep during this rousing Candide interpretation. Oh, to be young and have the excuse of youth needing more sleep.

I can fall asleep during the evening news cast on television. My kids call it, "Dad's snooze and news hour". I love afternoon naps, and if on a bus, with other tourists I tend to get very groggy. When someone else is driving, I get sleepy, except on airplanes where the pilots need my help throughout the flight. So, like Christian, apparently I can fall asleep when I need to. Is this what the cycle of life is all about? I fervently hope that diapers and whiny crying are not in my future!

No comments: