Thursday, September 4, 2008

First US woman president

Last night we watched part of the Republican convention as in particular, we wanted to hear Mrs. Sarah Palin speak. Not knowing anything about this woman, except that she was currently the Governor of Alaska, we thought if McCain had chosen her as his vice presidential running mate, we should try to watch and see what she might be like. Actually this is the first time I have been interested in this presidential campaign. The Democrats spent way to much time debating each other and it just seemed to go on and on. The Republicans seemed to be boring.

About a year or so ago we watched a fictionalized version of the first US woman president played by Geena Davis. While we enjoyed the show, it didn't last very long and was canceled. Somehow the concept stuck with me and therefore I got quite interested in McCain's choice.

I felt that Ms. Palin delivered a good speech and was not afraid to take on her competition. She did not denigrate them but instead pointed out discrepancies in their rhetoric and actions. I came to believe that she will be able to hold her own in a debate against Mr. Biden.

Skipping ahead to after the November vote. What if McCain/Palin were to win this election? What if the unthinkable happens and McCain dies or becomes unable to function in his office? Then Palin becomes President. Then we would have our first woman President. How would she handle the stress of the job? If we live long enough, we may get answers to these questions. This makes this election interesting to me now. Do you have such thoughts? What is your thinking on having a woman become President?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think a woman president would be great and Sarah Palin is ready for the job. My house is Republican, but I don't pay too much attention. However, I think she's a great choice and can help John McCain win. Wouldn't that be a thrill?
Joan