Friday, October 3, 2008

Upcoming Presidential Election

I have been thinking a lot about the upcoming election. To me, the candidates have been quite disappointing, and the continual gibberish we have heard these last two years, intensely irritating. Finally, my biggest gripe of all is the immense amounts of money that have been raised and spent on the campaigns. In spite of all of this, any prospective candidate must undergo intense scrutiny by the press and from partisans of other candidates. No wonder, no one in his or her right mind, meaning any average citizen of this country, will seek to be elected to any office.

Now that I have griped and could go one for much more, thankfully, you are to be spared. My final thought is that all of us of voting age have a sacred duty to vote on election day. I do not intend to tell anyone who I vote for and do not want to hear your thoughts, either. I do want you to vote your conscience.

I am left with the funny thought to vote early and vote often, which has the smell of voter fraud about the idea. Do exercise your right to vote, and let the chips fall where they may. If in four years we are still dissatisfied, then throw the bums out of office, and vote some other candidate in.

I think we need to adopt the British system where they call for an election in ten weeks, and it is all over. Enough of this running for office for years and years. I know I am griping again, but really, a bit of common sense here would help.

No comments: