Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Trains

Today we started our trek back to Omaha, and I got to enjoy the many trains on the tracks that paralleled the roads back. I think that we saw six trains, some going west and others east. Frequently, there was only one track, so a train might have to wait a bit on a siding until another passed and then resume its trip. One train had six engines, and they were pulling a very long train mostly of containers. We saw cars being hauled, cars for coal, cars for grain, and tanker cars for petroleum products.

When I was quite young I wanted a train for Christmas, but that was an expensive gift at that time and beyond my parents' monetary abilities. But, willing to please, they got me a small wind-up train. I guessed that this might be a present and, deciding that I could not stand the suspense. I got into the guest bedroom where presents were stashed and found out that indeed a wind-up train had been purchased. On Christmas I then had to be VERY happy to get a train, and since I am not good at faking things, I probably overdid it. The lesson I really learned was not to anticipate surprises and to wait for the actual day and really enjoy the present. Sneaking a peak had not turned out so well for me. To this day I try really hard not to guess about a possible present, preferring to be surprised instead.



As an adult I have had several model trains. In the early years it was HO scale and the boys and I enjoyed playing with the trains. Recently it has been G scale probably because the scale is much larger than HO so I can actually see the parts when they need fixing. The best part about G scale is that they can be set up outside and you can make elaborate setups in your garden or other outside venues. James and I set up an area in our basement where we could run the trains and his sisters got into making houses and other things that would look good as background materials. One of the many joys of my life is watching grandchildren run the model trains whether inside or outside. As we go back to wandering the roads the trains have gone back into storage. If I ever grow up and settle down again, I expect the trains will re-emerge and provide me and others much fun and enjoyment.



A couple of years ago HW2 and I took Grandchild Susannah with us and traveled

No comments: