Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Do you use 'to'???

I am totally unaware that I use 'to' in a colloquial way. I frequently will say, "Go to home." Now most of us will say go to the store or go to church or some such sentence involving the word 'to'. HW2 noticed that I say this and then realized that Mom says it as well. Others in the family may or may not, but I find it interesting in local word usage and wondered if any of you, the readers, either use this expression or know of others you would share.

In England they say, "I went to hospital," and leave out 'the' in the sentence. Most of us in this country say, "I went to the hospital."

In north central Pennsylvania there is a Pennsylvania Dutch usage such as, "Throw momma from the train, a kiss." The phrases are reversed here but delightful to hear. I hope to hear some of the expressions that tickle you. Happy travels!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about "to", I'll listen for it. I notice that my son, the English grad student in North Carolina, has been fully immersed in the culture and finds "you all" to be a helpful and convenient phrase. When he was home last his friends busted his chops on this, and he pointed out that it's just more time-saving to use in place of "you guys" or similar phrases. I thing it works well too! Joan