Friday, March 26, 2010

Life's Challenges

I have recently visited a urologist in nearby Fredericksburg, which is about 20 miles north of Kerrville. I went there since I could not get into see the urologist in Kerrville until late in May. Now I have had to visit urologists in the past. Basically, I think that when they specialized in urology, they had to all take the same class. It is called How to Handle Another Male's parts. I do suppose that there are female urologists as well, and they take the other course, How to Handle Female Parts. So far I have not experienced any cross over urologists, but they could be interesting. I can visualize the medical class when they get to this part. First, you must partner up with another physician of the same sex. Then the instructions include: drop trousers and shorts, face your partner and grab hold of his male parts and check for various medical conditions. I would think that much laughter might occur which could be embarrassing if you think they are laughing at you.

Anyway, my current urologist is Dr. Michael J. He is an older man in his late 50's or early 60's, and clearly he had taken the class. Fortunately, no laughter was heard during the examination. With pants back on I could relax a bit and listen to the next steps. Apparently, I now have to have, I almost said autopsy, but since I am still living, I meant to say a biopsy of my prostate.

I am not particularly looking forward to this procedure but will do it to get more information. When I had a colonoscopy recently, they put you out for the procedure. When I awakened, I asked if I had been a good boy and was assured that I had been. I visualized flatulence problems or leakage and did not want to have that on my conscience. Of course, the nurse could have lied to me since she also took the medical course on Lying to Your Patient. If there was much laughter during the procedure, I was unaware, since I was indeed out cold. I have wondered if the doctor who does all of these colonoscopies gets to the mall on his day off and thinks to himself as he sees former patients walking about, " You should have seen his enlarged colon," or, "That was a tight one," or "We laughed for hours about that one." I would think he might need a comedy break after looking at bottoms and colons every day with out end.

After the biopsy where they take nips and tucks here and there, I will be much more knowledgeable about next steps. Keep me laughing. It helps. Happy travels.

1 comment:

ashley said...

When I was having my c-section, I don't really recall how the conversation started, but one of the surgeons definitely said that something was "magically delicious."