Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Drs, drs, drs

This is attempt number two since I sent the first one off into the ether. We have spent much of our spring and summer visiting doctors here in Kerrville. Since Foxy had her shoulder replacement she has moved on to physical therapy and should be recognized as the poster girl for her ability to stick to her exercises. She goes to therapy three times each week and yesterday went early so that I could make an eye appointment that morning as well.

Once done with therapy, we came home to let Max out for a break and then took off for San Antonio. Our eye doctor had a large group of patients that had one eye surgery completed and needed the second cataract removed. So he scheduled ten of us in San Antonio and I was number eight on the list for yesterday. We arrived about noon and my turn came about 1:30. The surgery only takes about ten minutes. The first time I was concerned since I do not like to have my eye touched much less cut and I had taken Valium to help relax. This time, knowing the procedure, I skipped the Valium and headed into the operating room. This time I had a special lens new on the market to correct for astigmatism.

Once the surgery was complete, I sat in recovery for a few minutes and then an attendant wheeled me out to our car. Once he left, Foxy got out of the driver's seat and I got in since she can't drive just yet due to her shoulder surgery. We stopped for lunch since neither of us had eaten since the previous evening and then on to Cost Co. and finally the sixty mile trip back to Kerrville. By the time we got home my eye was hurting a bit and tearing a lot. I was glad to head off to bed early. This morning I could see quite well and my eye does not hurt at all. Modern medicine is wonderful. It is nice to be able to see more clearly. Happy travels.

No comments: