Friday, July 4, 2008

Birthdays and Decades

What is there about birthdays and decades? Yesterday we celebrated son-in-law Chuck's 40th birthday. It was a fun day. We had lunch with him, Kim and the boys and in the early evening, joined them for a trip to the ice cream store, Moomar's, where a local farmer makes wonderful ice cream from his dairy cows milk. Chuck likes to have dessert and then dinner, but only on his birthday. We then went on to a brew pub that gives birthday people a pint beer glass. Dinner was very good too. So we managed to celebrate his birthday in a manner that he wanted. Fun!!!

When we hit another decade, do we think that it is special enough to have a great party??? I think so, but am not sure exactly why. Maybe it is one of life's milestones like getting married or qualifying for your first driver's licence. I will celebrate my next birthday in February and it will be my 70th. My father and grandfather both reached 70, but, it proved to be their last birthday. I intend to follow my OLDER brother's fine example and get through the 70 and pass on to 71 and then 72 and.... However, we do not always get what we wish.

I am prepared to become 70 and no more but that seems a bit pessimistic and so since I am generally optimistic, will look forward to being 71 or even 80 or 81. Fortunately we are not in charge. I guess it is better to live each day and live it well. That is my real goal. So, why do we celebrate these decades???? Ideas??

No comments: