Friday, September 2, 2011

Repairing a stained glass window

I have been putting off this project for actually years. I have at least four glass panels that need to be repaired. This means removing part of the frame by using the soldering iron to heat up the joints and remove the solder. This is a messy business. Then I have to remove each piece of glass that has cracked. The remaining pieces have to be cleaned and have all copper foil edges cleaned and then finally I have to find new glass and cut out pieces to replace the broken ones. Of course I do not always have the exact replacement piece and that means a visit to the glass supply store. I have done all of these steps by today and now have to get out the glass grinder and grind down the newly cut pieces. Then each of these pieces must be copper foiled on the edges and then placed into the panel, hopefully fitting. Once they fit then the whole panel must be re-soldered and the frame replaced. This takes several days to do and is one more reason why I wait for years to repair a stained glass window. Happy travels.

No comments: