Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Smoke gets in your eyes

A popular song when my mom was growing up was, "Smoke gets in your eyes." I even remember a few lines from the song: They asked me how I knew, my true love was true, I of course replied. something here inside, cannot be denied. The rest of this song has gone to the mists of time for me. However, when we went outside we could smell smoke in the air and the sky was clouded with drifting particles of smoke. We wondered if it was the Bastrop fire or one a bit closer such as west of Fort Worth. We did not know the answer but feel so bad for the people who have lost their homes. To date over 1000 homes have burned. This is a tragedy brought on by the continuing drought and carelessness of people using fire in any form outside. I cannot imagine coming back to the ashed of my home and life. It would be difficult to happen in the first place , much less than the thought of trying to start all over. You could never replace pictures or other momentos of a life lived. We can only pray that the firefighters get these fires under control. Happy and safe travels.

No comments: