Saturday, January 28, 2012

Max talks

Last night we returned from caring for the grandsons, taking them to swimming and then attending a dinner for new members of our church at the pastor's home. It was a lovely time and a nice chance to meet other new members. One of the new members had moved here from North Carolina and I got a chance to ask him if he had ever heard of the expression 'Buddy Roe'. He said he had not heard that in years but it was a common expression there and that it meant you were talking to one of your close friends. I had always wondered where Jan Karom heard this expression or whether she made it up for her series of books about an Episcopal Priest in Mitford. Now I know.

When we got home I first let Max out for a necessary break and then we sat and talked about our busy day. Max as usual sat on my lap and suddenly stared across the room and started to growl and make sounds like he was talking. I tried to get him to do it again and he did it several more times. I could not see anything unusual and wondered if he could see himself in the mirror there. Finally he jumped down and began to bark and bark. Foxy figured it out. We had left a cake carrier on the counter and Max had noticed this and realized it was new to him. I got up and took the cake carrier off of the counter and showed it to Max and he quit barking after much sniffing, of course. I have never heard a dog make such interesting sounds and now know that Max can talk. Happy travels.

No comments: