Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Tucson

In 1967 we moved from Hawaii to Tucson, and I began my doctoral studies in mathematics. I quickly realized that I didn't want to become a research mathematician and especially after being exposed to Housdorf Spaces was absolutely sure, since I never really understood what they were talking about. So, I changed majors to Educational Administration and Curriculum Development and decided I had better quit the role of full time student and get a real job. I became curriculum coordinator and high school principal of The Green Fields School, and we began to extend the school to include a four year high school. I also taught math and physics. In my spare time I continued to take graduate courses summers and evenings at the University of Arizona.

After three years at Green Fields, I returned full time to the University to be a graduate assistant in secondary education and later worked in the office of accreditation. I finally finished my doctorate and stayed working at the university for a total of six years. Finally deciding that it would be hard to get promoted at the university where I had graduated, I looked for another job and was hired to teach at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque. So after nine years in Tucson we moved again.

My eighteen year marriage fell apart and my ex -wife returned to Tucson where she continued her graduate studies. This was not a happy time in my life for all of the obvious reasons.

No comments: