Sunday, June 7, 2009

Relationships take two

I have been thinking about what makes a good relationship between two people for many years. I treasure my friends and try to maintain that good friendship. It takes both people to maintain the relationship and cannot be maintained by only one of them. This lesson seems to be a fundamental one that needs to be learned by all who treasure their relationships. I am puzzled about what characteristics bring two people together to found the relationship in the first place. Is it always similar, or is is a combination of opposite characteristics? Apparently, it is both for me. The common bond is created, and the relationship gets a chance to blossom and grow.

I have three children and two step children and daughters and sons in law as well as thirteen grands and now one great grand. I feel very blessed by these children and grands. I find it very interesting as to the degree of a good relationship maintained with each. Some give freely and constantly maintain their end. Others, only when it is in their interest. Others seem to be closed off and maintain only the bare minimums. We all use the phone and internet to stay in touch and seem to need to talk at least weekly. These conversations keep us up to date on each others' activities. Some ask questions about what we are doing, and others are reluctant to ask. We try to find out what is going on with each of them. These conversations are worth every penny spent and minutes quickly go by as we keep in touch.

At other times there are tokens to maintain the relationship. These involve birthday cards and cards for other occasions. They may also involve presents for the birthday or Christmas. We hope to get a response and frequently do so. Some seem too busy to say 'thank you' but most try. We do feel sad when one of our days does not get acknowledged, but we try hard to forgive, knowing that cards, phone calls, or presents are purely voluntary. We do know that we love and are loved in return, and that is what holds us together.

As our lives draw to a close, I, for one, evaluate my many relationships and wonder how I will be remembered. I think about many that have gone from this life and feel that relationship thread is still vibrant as I send thoughts their way. We each have notions about the hereafter and act accordingly. I hope some of you continue to send thoughts my way. With much love. Happy travels.

No comments: