Sunday, November 8, 2009

Estate sales

Like addicts, we continue to go to estate sales and love the process. Currently we seldom buy anything, but we enjoy looking at a different house and the stuff that was collected over time and is now for sale. Once an antique dealer, always an antique lover. We have enjoyed attending sales here as it gets us into all parts of Kerrville, and we feel that we know the city all that much better. Once in a while there are tools that are needed, and they get bought. HW2 finds lots of things but reluctantly passes on most of them. Yesterday we drove to nearby Center Point, TX, because they had stained glass supplies in the advertisement. We put on our GPS system, and it got us right to the spot and quite efficiently, too.

The place was a dump, a single wide trailer in the middle of other cast off trailers, and we wondered why we had come at all. However, we kept on and found the stained glass supplies on the porch and also checked the inside as well. We made an offer for the supplies, and it was accepted, and we carted the whole lot back to the car.

Once in the car and starting to return to Kerrville, I remarked, "What is that awful smell?" I stopped the car and after a quick check found the culprit. I had stepped in some fresh dog poop. I believe I referred to it in unflattering but specific terms and tried to clean my shoe. The cleaning job was not completed until we had driven about five miles to a gas station, and I managed to get into the restroom to finish the job. I hoped that this expedition to garner some glass supplies was worth it but was not quite sure at this point.

We stopped for breakfast at Lenny's, I mean Denny's, and then did several other errands before returning home. After clearing out the car and washing off the floor mat, which also received some dog poop decoration, I more thoroughly inspected my glass finds. It included several tools, all in good condition, and lots of glass that could be used in future projects. In spite of my miss-step into dog poop, it was a great purchase. Happy travels.

No comments: