Friday, November 26, 2010

Black Friday

My good buddy Byron convinced Ron and me that we needed to go shopping on Black Friday. He thought we needed to go to Home Depot, Lowe's, Tractor Supply, and Office Max. The lure was breakfast at the end of the expedition. Max decided at 3:30 am that he needed to go outside and let me know of his needs. I took care of Max and tried to get back to sleep but with little success, and so I was ready to meet the boys at the front of Home Depot by shortly before 5 am. Neither was there, and it briefly crossed my mind that I had been played for a sucker. So I called Ron and learned that he was on his way, and then Byron said, "Hi" as he rushed past me looking for bargains. Ron got there very soon, and we began looking. I really did not have anything in mind except maybe a lithium battery-powered drill. I just thought it might be fun to have a boy's breakfast out.

Byron scurried here and there looking for bargains and suggesting all the time that we needed this or that and what a deal this was and other encouraging suggestions. I wondered if he secretly worked for the store. The store personnel were quite helpful frequently asking, "Are you OK?" I began to wonder if getting up so early made me look bad, and then decided they were just trying to help. Several items were tossed into our cart and later removed as we found better bargains. I did find a drill that met my criteria and some presents for grandsons.

On to Lowe's, which was not nearly as well organized as Home Depot, with few good bargains to be had. Then to Tractor Supply where Ron was looking for a winter jacket and found what he had in mind, but the checkout line was so long he put it back. By now we were ready for breakfast, and Denny's beckoned us three intrepid shoppers.

Breakfast was a chance to get away from the crazed shoppers and decompress a bit. Then onward to Office Max, where I decided I had enough of all of this shopping and headed home to Foxy, Max, and our warm coach. I was exhausted and secretly have decided not to get talked into Black Friday shopping again. Happy travels.

P.S. Boy, do I need a nap!

No comments: