Thursday, November 29, 2007

Ebay

Have you ever purchased or bid on something listed on Ebay? HW2 really like to do this. First of all, it is completely in sync with her Scottish soul. She loves to shop and purchases lots of gifts for family and friends. She has a closet full of gifts ready for any occasion, although currently it is more of a drawer due to lack of closet space. Daughter Kim gave her a list of possible Christmas ideas for the boys and suggested that maybe she could find some of them on Ebay. This appealed to HW'2 sense of frugality, and she has been having a ball. Now this is not just shopping. It is also the hunt to find just exactly the correct item and, of course, the bargain price. Then comes the bidding over several days or hours. Finally the end result is either, "I got it!" or "Somebody out bid me at the last moment."

One time HW2 was looking and bidding on Chico clothes, and grandson James came in the door and saw what his grammy was doing and said, "Grammy just bid $100, and you will get it for sure." This gave us all a laugh. $100!!! Not very likely from this frugal shopper.

I have observed that when HW2 returns from a shopping trip with her prizes, I get an edited version starting with, "You have to see the bargain I got. It was only $15.80 after the store discount and after applying my coupon, and since it was senior shopping day, I got another 15% off. What a bargain." Now, in her defense, it was a bargain, I will admit. Several other things might not have been so cheap, and she had to have them too, but she might neglect to tell me the price. Later on, I just look at the bill from the store and pay it. I know that she loves to shop, and who would want to rain on the parade of a dedicated shopper who loves to buy things for family and friends. Not me! I do prefer to stay home while she shops and think this is a good thing, because then she can take as long as she likes.

1 comment:

C and J said...

Oh, my, I think he nailed me on this one! In fact, among the limited knick-knacks we have in our wee home is the one Kristy gave me, a picture of a nun carrying packages, labeled "MOTHER SHOPERIOR." But you should just see what I got yesterday...