Thursday, November 1, 2007

More Birds and other Visitors

Outside our motor home we have a cement patio with table and benches, surrounded by several large bushes. We decided when we arrived here to buy some bird seed and a small feeder, which we hung in the bushes so that we could watch the birds as they came to feed. So far, few birds have found our feeder, but we finally saw some black-capped chickadees sitting in the trees, and I heard one of them singing. We also have had a finch but could not tell what type.

About two days ago, I was working outside on my glass. I have erected a tent over the table, and this makes a great place to work, completing the cutting, grinding, and soldering. The temperature has been moderate for the most part, and the area has been a wonderful place to work. As people walk by, most wave and say hi but some also stop to talk and see what I am doing. So I have met quite a few of the neighbors and may have some potential sales. Time will tell. One recent day I had an unusual visitor. There is a huge flock of boat-tailed grackles here at the park which usually arrive and leave as a group. A single grackle visited me and started walking about the table, keeping one eye pitched to see what I might do. We were never more than 3 to 4 feet apart, and both watched the other. He found some things/insects to eat, and since I could see that he could not get at the feeder, I got up and shook the feeder so that some of the seed would be on the ground where he could feast. This move did not excite him in the least, and soon he was getting seed from the ground. This grackle was totally unafraid of me and stayed with me for some time. I hope he comes back today when I solder the piece I am currently working with.

No comments: