Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Post 501

Wow, 500 posts completed so far. This reminds me when I was writing my doctoral dissertation and working for Barney Leigh at the North Central Accreditation Office in The University of Arizona. I would come into work, and Barney would ask if I had written anything on the dissertation. If the answer was, "No," then he would say I could not get to work until I had written something. That discipline to write each and every day seems to be still working for me here as I think of things to write in this blog. While I don't write every day, I try to. It is my modern attempt to keep a diary. When I retired in 1996, I decided to keep a daily diary, and I still have all of those but quit when this blog got started. Every once in awhile HW2 or I try to remember something, and we get into searching the diaries or the blog, and these records help greatly.

Yesterday we drove to Fredericksburg and met members of our Seekers group at the Wildseed Farm which has started a butterfly exhibit. It was cool and windy, but once in the enclosed exhibit we could see butterflies emerging from the pupa stage, flying about, and even get them to crawl onto a finger. There were many species, but the Zebra, Swallowtail, and Monarch butterflies were in abundance. I did learn that butterflies fly in the daytime, and moths fly at night.

Afterwards we all had lunch at the farm and just visited with each other. We got to know Marilyn and Harvey a bit more. She is a retired elementary and music teacher who later became a principal. Harvey worked for the Houston Space center and is a Ham Radio operator.

When we got back to Kerrville, we saw Don and found out that we start working here this week. That is a bit earlier than we had expected, but why not? HW2 starts to shadow the office ladies today, and I start with the men on Thursday. Happy travels.

No comments: