Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Things I like

As a kid we used to visit our Aunt Florence and I always thought that her door stop, which was an iron Boston Bull Terrier was very cool. Today you can buy a replica door stop or look in antique stores for the original. The original is much more expensive of course.

I also liked wearing my dad's loafer shoes. He wore size 12 shoes, so they were not exactly my size. I think he suspected that I wore them when I was in his office at our home but never said anything to me, that I remember. Now when my feet got to be size 12 also, I to this day enjoy loafer shoes, especially for dress up.

Mom had a suitcase with two snaps that closed the case. Inside was a compartment that could hold shoes and a fancy lining. When we were going someplace it was always fun to have her get out this suitcase and we could watch her work the snaps. In those days my brother and I had to share a black Gladstone case which was not nearly as cool.

Dad made a tool box out of wood to hold his many tools. When he worked for the Federal Land Bank, this box was used daily as he worked on fixing up houses. In later years he would go to the box to get a tool and then comment if it was not there. At one point he got very frustrated with not ever being able to find hammers and bought us a case which had several. These were soon dropped here and there by careless hands. I do not recommend mowing over a hammer left on the lawn. It is hard on the mowing machine and potentially dangerous too. I think that I liked tools from this time and have a hard time passing up any tool when in Home Depot or Lowe's. Can you really ever have enough tools?

I do not know exactly why I like some things and not others. But memories are made up of times past and things that caught our attention. What is your favorite thing from when you were a kid? Happy travels.

No comments: