Sunday, July 26, 2009

Music

Today at church our Minister John W. shared his music experiences with us as he recognized our choral director Sally R., who is retiring from her job of musical director. This of course set me to thinking of musical experiences that I had participated in.

I think I made my musical debut as a baby by crying. I strongly suspect that Maurice would categorize this as wailing and screaming. At some point I learned to sing "You Are My Sunshine," and I believe I sang it on the Ithaca Radio Station WHCU for a local disc jockey, Jack Deal. Mom remembers that I also sang "I'm Looking Over A Four Leaf Clover" at another time. I don't think I was in school when that happened. I always wondered why Mom did that. About the fifth grade I started to learn to play the trombone. I didn't really like this, and at about this time I started taking piano lessons, as well. I was not very good at either. In high school Bill Jackson asked me if I would be willing to carry a tuba in the marching band at football games. I agreed but the condition was that I was NOT to try to play it, just march. Then I relearned the trombone and played it throughout my high school years. Bill always said I would get to be a good player, "If I would only PRACTICE." He was trying to tell me something. I finally managed to give up the piano and in later years have thoroughly regretted that decision. My problem is that I have no notion of the names of the musical notes and simply play as best as I can. This leaves much to be desired , especially for the listener.

I also sang in the chorus. In the early years I had a good soprano but it gradually changed to tenor and then baritone and today is a rumbly bass. Bill Jackson encouraged us to experiment with other instruments, and I liked drums and French horn. I was never very good at either of these.

In college I had bit parts in two musicals, The Boy Friend and Guys and Dolls. I think my best job is to appreciate other musicians. Today my biggest joy is listening to grand children play the piano or sing. I am a good listener. I trust your musical experiences have been equally rewarding. Happy travels.

1 comment:

C and J said...

Actually, he is a VERY good singer! I know because he sings beside me at church, and he does exceptional harmony! Also, he forgot to mention that he sang as part of a duet for high school class commencement... Maybe it was "Bless This House," but I am not sure. In any case, i enjoy ALL of his music, and we do make beautiful music together! Love ya, Sweetie!