Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Drought continues and the eyes have it

The drought continues throughout Texas. We hope for rain. We have had a bit here, but it is not enough. It seems as if other parts of the country that are getting too much rain could share. Unlikely!

I have been back to the eye doctor to get my eyes measured for upcoming cataract surgerys. I did wonder how they might measure my eyeballs and came up with several fancifal scenerios. My first thought was watching them use a yard stick and waving it around in the air and saying things like two inches or such. Then I thought of calipers and hoped they would not squeeze my eyes too much leaving dents where they measured. Friends Ron and Julie suggested they pop the eyeball out of its socket, and then the measuring could be done and then of course put the eyeball back. Of course the reality was quite different. They use a special computer and something like a laser which darts back and forth taking measurements. The results of this test are used by the doctor to decide where to make the incision, remove the old lens and insert the new one. Apparently there is no loss of blood, and the eyeball heals itself in a couple of days. They can give you valium if you are a bit nervous, and since I do not like people touching my eyes and have a hard time having pressures taken for a glaucoma test, I think that I will avail myself of this remedy. The really clever thing is that if you have astigmatisms then the placement of the lens can be adjusted to reduce them to some degree. How neat is that. So now I wait and soon this will be over. Happy travels.

1 comment:

maymatter said...

we have gotten lots and lots of rain this April - wish we could send some your way
Linda