Sunday, April 22, 2012

Medco

Foxy and I have our prescriptions filled by an organization called Medco.   We used to have Express Scripts which we liked.  Both of these groups provide us with our needed prescriptions giving us a 90 day supply every three months.   Generaly this works quite well.   Express Scripts was very good about asking where we might like our pills delivered and since we live in our motor home and travel quite a bit this proved very helpful.

This last year we were informed that Medco would now provide the necessary services.   Since there was no choice involved we of course changed to the new company.   They of course wanted proscriptions all over again which was an additional burden for our doctors.    Then we dared to move to Denton.   We got new doctors.   Knowing that the last sequence was not quite complete for our full year, we asked the new doctor to hold off on submitting the new requests. 

Time went by and I called the doctor's office to have the requests submitted to Medco.   I explained to the receptionist that we lived at one address and had a different permanent mailing address.   Do you see a problem in the making?

Medco started calling us on an automated voice system.   They simply wanted to know where we wanted to have our medications shipped.   I called them back and finally, finally, finally  got through their automated system to a real person.   I explained where we would like the pills shipped.   Then we got another series of calls explaining that our doctors office had given them a different shipping address.   I do not know what we have to do other than start the whole thing over again.  To add to the problem I need one of my medications twice a day which means two pill instead of one each day.   This means for the 90 day period they should ship me 180 pills.   You do the math.   You should get 180.    Now by automated system we cannot get the 180 pills since they only allow 90.   However you can have your doctor request the extra amount before the prescription is filled and then you, the patient , can again call and have the prescription be filled.   Apparently both the doctor and the patient must call.   Then if they deem it to be correct, they will allow you to have the additional pills for the 90 days.   However in my case it is too soon to begin the process since the old year system has not quite run out.   I believe I may run screaming into the night.   Happy travels.

P.S.  Did I tell you to posts ago of my unexpected demise.   Then, if true, I could not have had to write about Medco.

No comments: