Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Favorite Museums

When we are traveling, I have a rule that I follow: Only one church, one castle, and/or one museum per day. After awhile they all look alike to me, and I really do want to visit a limited number of these places. However, over the years I have visited a number of museums that stand out in my memory. The Guggenheim in New York is spectacular. I think the best way is to take the elevator to the top and slowly wind your way to the bottom. A wonderful setting for art! The Norman Rockwell Museum is a favorite. They rotate the collection, and yet you get to revisit favorites everywhere you look. He thought of himself as an illustrator, but indeed he is an artist. He painted his version of idealized American life, and, to my mind, there is nothing better.

In Paris, if you like the Impressionist painters as much as I do, then you'll understand why a visit to the Musee d'Orsay (thanks, Rachal!) leaves me overwhelmed with their many works. Of course, a visit to I. M. Pei's pyramidal entrance to the Louvre, leads the visitor downward to a visit of one of the four parts of this wonderful museum. I can only manage one section at a time and always want to revisit The Mona Lisa or Winged Victory.

A visit to the Museum of Art in Chicago will surprise you by its extensive collection. You turn a corner to see a Grant Wood or impressionistic hay stacks or lily ponds. When in Omaha, visit the Joselyn Museum which though small by the examples suggested above, has good representations of most art. I particularly enjoy the two glass sculptures by Dale Chihuly. Now these are a few of my favorite museums, and I am sure that you, the reader, have your own favorite ones. Let me know your favorites, and maybe it will be the one museum that I visit some day.

No comments: