Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Texans, Again!

We did it, finally, even if it did take two days. The first day we got the car registered, HW2 got her driver's licence and voter registration, and then we were asked about the weight of the motor home. While it was technically fine when empty, we were concerned that it would exceed the weight requirements when loaded ,so I got to read road regulations for large trucks. The next day, a bit jittery I must admit (probably too much coffee, don't you think), I took the written test which seemed to focus on reflectors, how many you must have and how high, and other very interesting, if obscure, facts, and then watched it being graded. Now I have not watched a test being graded since HW2 and I had to take a test while helping Arthur run his Bed and Breakfast. All food handlers in Washington State must take a course and test on food handling. That was a few years ago, and we both did pass it with flying colors. Back to the written road test. It had 20 questions, and I had to get 70% correct if I was to pass. So I watched the grading with quite a bit of interest, trying to remember to breathe in and breathe out. I passed, whew, a relief, but then I had to take a road test in the motor home, being graded on how many pedestrians I missed, telephones swiped, or curbs run over while trying to turn the thing. At 2:30 I returned to this Texas torture, found the emergency blinkers, put them on (I had never used them to date), and went to get my person who would ride with me. It was a lady person, and she informed me exactly how I could fail, and we were off down the road. I never have driven this carefully and somehow got us back to the starting point, completing each task as asked. I did miss the pedestrian and the telephone pole and the curb. I passed!!!!! Then they granted me a license, and I am registered to vote too, if a day later than HW2.

Of course, we had to celebrate, and so after putting the motor home back in it's place in the RV park, we went to Walmart and then out to dinner. Steven met us at the door of this grill and sat us at a table with two cold brewskies (Texas Brew, I might add, Shiner Boch), followed by filets and potatoes and salad. He was very funny and smiled like I envision Prince William smiles (he must smile sometime) and hoped we would get dessert. Not having eaten all the potatoes or cleaned my plate, there was no dessert. I did miss the Nebraska touch of, "I'll grab that for ya" or, "no bother." We got "Y'all come back now, heah." We definitely are back in Texas, Y'all.

P.S. And, guess what? Our new license plate is BLG, which makes us think of BLOG! Isn't that cool? AND, best of all, I can remember that one (maybe)!

2 comments:

sperlonga said...

Whew! Glad THAT'S over! Congrats on passing all those tests. I'm sure you would have loved to at least graze the curb just for fun! Scare the lady anyway.
Relax and enjoy the trip now, ya heah?!

C and J said...

Thanks! I enjoyed Dennis's thoughts on dropping my newly acquired Driver's license on the floor to impress truckers!