Saturday, December 1, 2007

Auntie Mame

When I was in college, I found a book entitled Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis. I was home for a holiday, reading the book and laughing so hard that I was speechless and just rocking back and forth with tears streaming down my face. My dad came along and wanted to know if I was all right, and all I could do was nod. I think he though I had "gone round the bend." Later on a movie was made of this book starring Rosalind Russell, which proved equally funny. Then even later, they made a musical for Broadway Mame, and again into a movie, this time starring Lucille Ball. If you ever need a good laugh, buy the book and enjoy or watch one of the movies.

Another time in college, my roommate and I went to a movie, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Now we may have been very tired from studying or glad for a break, but I thought this movie was very funny and noticed a very annoyed woman sitting in front of me and wondered why she didn't like it when I realized that I was laughing so hard that I was holding onto and shaking her seat. I guess that could prove to be annoying.

HW2 had serious Auntie Mame tendencies which I like to encourage. She enjoys hats, a good laugh, dosen't suffer fools quietly, dresses well, and is a bit avant guard in her thinking, although she has never been seen naked trying to fertilize the fish. She does, however, want to take grandchildren with her to "See the World." These scenes are in Dennis's book. have I whetted your appetite? I hope so. Happy reading!

1 comment:

C and J said...

Honestly, that is one of the funniest books I have ever read, and the Roz Russell movie is one of my favorites! It is absolutely hysterical! A classic! See it! But I wish I could find that one hat...