Friday, April 10, 2009

Maundy Thursday

You might think that at my age I would know what Maundy means, but, I did not. We went to a very meaningful service last night, and in the program were notes that explained. Maundy comes from the Latin word mandatum meaning commandment. On the night before Good Friday, Jesus gave his disciples a new commandment "to love one another, just as I have loved you." Now the name made sense to me.

John, our pastor, gave a wonderful sermon, "Jesus Knew." Jesus knew that tomorrow he would die. We celebrated communion by gathering in the chancel and then walked back to our seats. The church was stripped of ornamentation to represent the desertion of those who had shared the meal with Jesus that night. We then left the church silently reflecting on all seen and hear. It was a magnificent service.

No comments: