Sunday, August 2, 2009

John W's Sermon

Our minister here in Kerrville gives tremendous sermons. Not only does he write them, but he memorizes them and delivers them in a very effective way. Recently, John asked me if I would help him with a sermon. I was very pleased and set to work with the Bible texts in hand. The first page happened quickly, but then I hit a stone wall, and inspiration just would not come to me. I talked it over with John, and he encouraged me to persevere and to get it done by Sunday morning. Well, Sunday morning came, and I was still on page one. What to do? I went to church and confessed to John that he had only one page of a sermon to give that morning. He asked me, "What do you expect me to do? Make it up?" I suggested that he just give forth on any thought that came into his head when there was a terrible rumble, and the ceiling of the church gave way. Fortunately, no one was in that area. Then I woke up. I do not think I am up to giving him help with his sermons, as it apparently causes tremendous damage to his ego and to our church. Aren't dreams fun? Happy travels.

No comments: