Sunday, February 14, 2010

Milestones

Well, I made it to 71 years of age. That is my personal milestone for today. We went to a Valentine's party and dance last night here at the park. It involved dinner and a live band with great dancing music. Foxy and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. They even sang happy birthday to me later on during the evening. It was great fun to celebrate in such a way. To continue this celebration we are going out with friends for breakfast in about an hour. I am not getting on any scale for a few days for sure. After today it is back to the diet and losing a few gained pounds. Can you have a birthday resolution? I think this one is mine. Now, can I make it to 72?

Maurice and I had a quiet conversation about reaching 71 years of age. He did this a couple of years ago, and I cheered him on. This year he cheered me on. Both our father and grandfather only made it to 70. You can see why we thought 71 was a milestone for each of us. Probably if either of these men were living in these times, they would have lived to be much older, as medical progress helps more of us to live longer. I must admit that I read obituaries each morning, not to learn much about the person, but to see how old they were. Lots of people make it into their 80's or 90's and beyond. Mom has set us a great example since she is currently 97. I think that she will easily make it to 100 or more, and we all encourage her.

Thanks for listening to a Real Old Fart who made it to 71. Happy travels.

2 comments:

joan s s said...

A very happy birthday!! I was thinking of you, didn't realize what the number was. Glad you enjoyed!

sperlonga said...

Congrats, old fart!