Monday, May 9, 2011

Cataract surgery

I have finished half of this process of cataract surgery this morning. We got up quite early in order to be at the out patient clinic by 6:15. They gave me several types of drops, antibiotic, numbing, and dilation. They did this two or three times, and then it was my turn. Doctor C. appeared and had me look at a light and then skillfully removed the lens in my right eye and then inserted a new lens. He applied a bit of pressure to return the covering of the lens, and it was all over. I had been quite up tight about this procedure since I did not like to have my eyes touched. Their procedures worked and with a small amount of Valium, I really did not care who touched the eye. The whole process took about an hour, and Foxy took me home for a bit of breakfast and some rest. Then at eleven o'clock it was time to return to Dr. C. for my first post op checkup. They asked me to read an eye chart, but all I managed was the top letter, and it was blurry. More drops and a free pair of sunglasses and we returned home. On Wednesday we return for the second checkup and then wait to have the left eye done. I am truly amazed at the abilities of modern medicine and what can be done for us aging humans. Happy travels.

No comments: