Monday, May 2, 2011

Dumb phone

As many of you may know, I am not good at using our smart phone. I do not like technology that is smarter than I am, and much of it seems to be in this category. Our Verizon stick that fits in a port on our computer finally gave up the ghost and died. Now to connect to the internet we have to either use unsecured area networks in the park, or get a new stick. I call it a stick since I cannot remember what it is called. Another roadblock in my technological abilities. But since I forget people's names frequently, I do not consider this failing too serious. After all, if this is another signpost on my way to Altzheimers, then it has been coming on for years.

We decided to visit a Verizon store to get a new stick. Of course, they do not have them for sale any more, but we could buy a better version. If we would also purchase a second phone, then the increased monthly charge would only be $20. What a deal, and I was not impressed. We mentioned to the poor soul waiting on us that I did not like smart phones, and he informed me that he had a bag of phones that people had turned in that I could have. I think these phones were called dumb phones probably because people had turned them in for smart phones not realizing that smart phones are smarter than their users. So after all was considered and not having to thus buy a $250 newer stick but by buying a dumb phone, we could have it for free, and our monthly bill only goes up $20. I am thinking that in a year the new stick would be paid for if purchased outright but since I can have a dumb phone......... I am thinking the dumb part might be a label for me....... Happy travels.

No comments: