Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Harbingers of Spring

I was thinking of what made me think of spring and then watched two fat robins searching for worms. So it is robins and lots of early flowers such as crocus, tulips, daffodils, hyacinth (although this one makes me think of the BBC series 'Are You Being Served')and flowering forsythia bushes.

In the beginnings of spring the wind feels softer without the hard edge of winter. Rain is welcomed and soon followed by new green shoots as we begin this cycle of rebirth. Soon the trees are dressed in new leaves that are yellow - green in color rather than the dark greens of summer. All is as new, and we rejoice in another spring.

As winter is about to leave the stage, maple trees get tapped for their rising sap, which is then boiled down in large flat steel pans and then skimmed and strained to make wonderful maple syrup. I had some the other morning on my toaster waffles. YUM!

Rhubarb again springs from the ground and soon will get made into rhubarb sauce or even better, rhubarb strawberry pie. If you add the winter parsnips and new greens, you have indeed welcomed spring and tasted its bounty.

What makes you think of spring? I bet I will agree with you and want to add your suggestions to my list. Yeah! Spring is here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hearing the cardinal, perched high in the tree, calling for his mate and seeing the goldfinches turn from brown to yellow practically over night. One more thing...those tender shoots of ASPARAGUS!!!!!!! I won't let you forget this one.

Joetta