Saturday, March 22, 2008

Moderation in All Things

I guess my comments about asparagus hit some nerves here and there, especially among those who love this vegetable. I began to wonder what other vegetables or fruit cause such a reaction and came up with peas and bananas. My dad hated peas but ate them in front of us kids so that we would grow up to like them, and this tactic worked for the most part since I have not heard that any of us hate them. I do not particularly like canned peas unless they are in a salad like you frequently see in the buffet restaurants.

Bananas are to be enjoyed in certain ways. When freshly picked off the hand of bananas, then bananas are good, unless the hand is still very green. Banana bread is tasty, too. I draw the line at broiled bananas. I got treated to this type of dessert some years ago, and the boys and I rebelled and refused to eat any, much less the 'one trial bite'. To this day I think that Bananas Foster must be disgusting, although I have never tried it and don't plan to, either.

Although neither a vegetable or fruit, snails are disgusting with their trail of slime. How anyone could eat such a creature is beyond me, but I did try ONE once and thought it tasted like pencil erasers. YUCK! Although the pencil erasers aren't bad if you need a little something to hold yourself over till lunch.

I do believe in moderation in all things and try foods at least once, and in the case of the mighty asparagus lobby, will eat it. I just don't like it. Happy moderation and may your salads be small.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think any kind of bananas are disgusting. They are too mushy . I won't eat them any way.
kgh