Saturday, March 29, 2008

High School Days

High school was not a happy time for me essentially because I was typically one year younger than everyone else in my class. This happens if you start first grade when you are four and don't flunk any grades along the way. Socially, I was immature and really did not know how to handle teasing from other students. I managed the class work fairly well but had to take Latin I over as a junior since I flunked it on purpose when I was a freshman. I was glad to see the high school years draw to a close and to have the chance to go to college. I deliberately applied to a school that would be too far from home so that I would have to live there and have the chance to grow up a bit on my own and away from Newark Valley.

I did have lots of fun in high school such as playing in the band, singing in the chorus, being in two class plays and generally doing well academically. I did finally graduate third in my class of 39 students, which was not saying much. As freshman there were over 90 in the class, but so many students fell along the way side during those four years. About four of us went directly on to college and many in the graduating class were quickly married right out of high school. What was the hurry? Several of us became teachers and two of us gradually became high school principals over the working years. I have not kept in touch with many of our graduating class and wish I had done a better job. Since I never really lived again in the community and only visited occasionally, it was easy to lose touch with the members of our class.

I grew to think that the values prevalent in high school were short-lived and being popular or a cheerleader or football player did not guarantee you happiness as an adult. Now college was a totally different environment and great fun. Those four undergraduate years go so quickly and in the process most students emerge as fully functioning adults with skills that can get them a useful paying job in society. Did you enjoy high school? I hope so!!!

No comments: