Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I know God's name

Family Circus is a wonderful cartoon that I have enjoyed for many years. Recently they had a family member announce to his dad, "I know God's name." "Well, what is God's name?" he was asked, and got the response, "Andy." Then he went on to quote lines from a hymn. "Andy walks with me; Andy talks with me; Andy tells me I am his own............."

I loved it! This reminds me when Keilah was little and was in the car with her mom and heard a song and announced to her mom that they were playing her new baby sister, Susannah's song. Can you guess the name of the song or the lyrics?

There is something endearing when a child misuses a word for another, but it still makes some sense. A cartoonist or others must pay close attention to catch these moments. The illustrator of Family Circus is particularly good at doing this. When adults misspeak do we call the statement a malapropism? Yogi Berra is famous for such statements, and so is George Bush. Do you have any favorites? Please share. happy travels.

No comments: