Friday, October 16, 2009

Volunteering and fixing

As a way to help pay for our space rental, we frequently volunteer and are expected to do so especially when there are big parties like fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and other holidays.

Yesterday my errands were primarily for our resort and meet several maintaince needs here. We have two small carts that can be pulled behind a golf cart which have multiple uses like picking up garbage, tree limbs, moving dirt, and other necessary things. One has had flat tires since I started this gig back in March. I asked whether we could get tires for it and got lots of varied answers, none of which fixed the cart. In the Tractor Supply Store in town I had seen a variety of small tires and told the boss here that I would get some, if they were the right size for the cart. So yesterday, I found the exact type of tire needed and bought two. Best of all they were on sale for half price at $10 each. That is a deal.

We went on to Home Depot to get more supplies. I thought that fresh paint would be good for the carts since they were in a very rusty condition. I also got special lamp bulbs and some blades for our band saw.

Once we arrived back at the park I went to work. First I put the new tires on the cart and they were the ones needed. Then I painted this cart with green enamel and the other cart with red enamel. These colors were chosen since they were the original colors. Next I put the lamp bulbs in their light fixtures that we use when we have to work outside at night and need extra lights to complete the work. I still have to make stands so that the lights can be free standing.

Finally I went to work on the band saw. A fellow work camper had been using this saw to cut very hard wood to use in a meat smoker and the blade broke but never got replaced while he was here. He ended his stint of work camping and the saw was not fixed so I took on the project. I did not know what I was getting into. So far, I have the new circular blade on and tracking but not all the guides have cooperated. I worked until 5pm and will have to do some more work today to finish. I have had to take the entire guiding mechanism apart to see how it works and read the manual several times. I am making progress but I want to get this band saw working and not have it come apart when being used hurting another work camper.

I had thought that I might volunteer for several hours to complete these projects but it turned out to be an all day thing. We shall see how long it takes to complete today. Does anyone have a can of red enamel spray paint? I ran out and need one more can to finish spraying the red cart. Happy travels.

No comments: