Thursday, April 22, 2010

Exercising

My doctor encouraged me to exercise and tighten up my stomach and abdomen muscles, as that would help me regain bladder control after the surgery. He went on to say that I was already in good shape, but this would make things even better. I was pleased that he thought I was in good shape since I really know better. However Foxy and I are taking him at his word and have resumed walking about the park which is about a mile. We have been doing this in the early evening after dinner.

Foxy has severe back problems and is on a regimen of exercises to strengthen her back and stomach muscles. She has been coaching me in the proper exercises, such as leg lifts, all of which should improve things for me, too. I am out of shape! I may be good at walking, but this leg lifting stuff is tricky. Apparently, you have to suck your abdomen muscles as close to your spine as you can get them while breathing in, and then do the lift while counting to five or ten, and then put the offending leg down slowly while exhaling. All of this while trying not to laugh or fart is difficult for me. I can manage some of these things but not all very successfully. So far it seems like there is more laughing, grunting, and farting but not much leg movement. What ever happens to the abdomen muscles that are trying to snuggle with my spine, happens. It is an uphill battle, but I am persevering and trying hard to follow Foxy's good directions. I believe it is a long way to getting buff. Happy travels.

1 comment:

Julie & Ron said...

Keep on exercising, farting, and laughing, Chuck!!