Tuesday, April 13, 2010

How do animals know?

Years ago when I had a heart attack and was in a recovery period, my faithful dog, Opus, never left my side. He seemed to know how comforting his presence was, and how it helped the healing process. Recently I read about a cat who lived in a rest home for the elderly. Somehow he seemed to know when the end time had come and would climb on the person's bed until they had passed. Our current rascal of a dog is Max, and twice now he has climbed up onto my lap and laid his head into my arms and stayed there quietly with me. Does he know that I have a medical condition, or he he just tuned into me enough to want to be there and give of his love? I think that dogs and cats sense things and that they try to alleviate pain in ways like this. No wonder we have these critters in our lives and homes. Happy travels.

No comments: