Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The woodworkers curse

I have commented in this blog about woodworkers proclivities to lose fingers. If you are the person involved, this is not very funny. Today I was in the process of making a wood frame for a stained glass piece that I was finishing. I was using a table saw to make pieces for the frame and had begun to saw a notch in the frame to hold the glass when the wood was kicked backward by the saw blade. Not wanting to get hit by the piece of wood, I instinctively grabbed for the wood. Actually I ended up colliding with the saw blade and nicked two fingers on my left hand. The second digit was a minor cut protected mostly by my nail. The third digit was another story all together, and the blade did a number not only on my nail but also into part of the finger.

I got Foxy's attention and we made a quick trip into town to the medical center. The nurse Joanne gave me wonderful service and thought the finger should be x-rayed to see if there was any bone damage. A bit of the end of the bone was sliced off and so I had to have a shot of anti-biotics. The attending physician wanted to know where Livingston, Texas, was located, our permanent mailing address. It seems that his parents live in Kerrville, and he wondered if we had been there. A small world for sure since we have been traveling and wintering there for many years.

Everyone at the medical clinic was terrific and so kind. I have relearned a lesson to not make fun of other's misfortunes. I can now join the woodworkers of America since I am now a bit digitally challenged. Happy travels.

1 comment:

Jules said...

Geez, Chuck!!! Glad you didn't lose your digit!! Be careful!