Sunday, October 24, 2010

Your bucket list

Do you have a bucket list? This is a list of things you want to do or accomplish before you die. I guess that as you age and get older, you might have to also prioritize the items in some way.

I still have places to travel and visit. These include: Alaska, Australia, New Zealand, South America, Russia, Israel, and Egypt. This list is not finished yet and may get other places added over time. The only one in order is Alaska, and then we can say that we have visited all 50 states in our country.

Nurturing relationships. Foxy and I have a wonderful one, and it is very important to maintain and grow. The connection to family and friends is also very important and needs continuing connections to maintain.

Visiting family and friends is always on the bucket list. Probably the most urgent is visiting Mom and maybe helping her to finally decide to move from her home or get help with daily needs, particularly as she approached her 98th birthday. What an amazing woman and so independent, which will make this very difficult to accomplish. As I age, I would hope that some of my kids (any of the five) would offer advice, and I would listen and act on the advice.

This blog is on my list and the desire to write daily when possible and to try to find the funny things in life for commentary as well as observations on the human condition.

Reading a good book and daily Sudoku puzzles are on the list. This helps keep my mind active helping to stave off Alzheimer's for another day.

Continuing to produce stained glass still remains, although I intend to take periodic vacations from this endeavor to recharge the artistic batteries and try not to get too much lead in my system.

Giving thanks each day for a chance to see what the day will bring and for good health.

Letting my "deacon duties" happen. I am not in charge of what I do to help others. You never know where the spirit may lead and must remain open to any and all possibilities. After all, "Once a deacon, always a deacon."

Be willing to be silly with the grandchildren and very slow to offer advice. It is more fun to just have fun. None of my grandparents behaved this way, and I wish they had. My favorite relatives, while growing up, were fun to be with and genuinely interested in what was happening. Thanks, Aunt Florence and Aunt Maud.

Finally, being open to adding or subtracting from this list. Who knows what opportunities tomorrow will bring? Happy travels.

2 comments:

Sergey said...

I started reading your blog. Old Age ... I'm 22 years old and I think about old age and I am interested to understand how pensioners live in the U.S. and Russia. Are you happy? Of course you are happy. If I have to live up to your years I would be happy to have such an old age. I look at your pictures and think of the quiet American happiness. Such in Russia will never be ... Sorry for my English. I write with the help of an interpreter ....

C and J said...

I am delighted to have a reader in Russia. It truly is a small world. Sergy I hope you too reach old age and have a happy life.