Sunday, January 31, 2010

Corporal or capital punishment.

I worked for several years at Green Fields School in Tucson. In early days it was a boys school grades 3 through 8. Fred Baltzell was the owner/headmaster of this private school. About the time I joined the faculty, Fred went on a one year trip around the world, and our job was to begin and add a high school to the school. When Fred returned, he decided to remain as head of the lower school, and I became head of the upper or high school as well as teaching math and physics. It was a a fun time. One day Fred and I got into a discussion of punishment. At one point he had been interviewed by a prospective parent, and she had left and then suddenly returned asking Fred, "Do you believe in capital punishment?" He commented, "I believe in it, I just don't practice it." This private school is today Green Fields Country Day School.

I too believe in capital punishment, but think that our society has gotten away from corporal punishment. This brings to mind that adage "spare the rod, spoil the child." I was talking with my worker friend Roy and talking about our upbringing. Roy is from a family of 13 children which included two sets of twins. His dad did not try to figure out who was the culprit but paddled them all. That must have been quite a job. My dad used his very large hands, and they really could hurt a naughty bottom. The trick was to begin to yell or cry just as his hand landed on your bottom. Then he would not hit you quite as hard. However, if he was on to you and your trick, he hit you harder. I must have been quite naughty to think up that strategy. We didn't mess with dad. To this day I believe that a few slaps on the bottom would help discipline today's unruly kids. Happy travels.

No comments: