Thursday, August 2, 2007

Digger Is My Nickname

Did you know that Digger is my favorite nickname? About five years ago HW2 and I helped a friend run his Bed and Breakfast Inn located on San Juan Island in the Puget Sound off of Seattle. How we got there is another story which will get in this blog one of these days. There was a feral cat who would risk coming into the Inn to eat the food of our house cat - Duffy. This irritated the owner enough that he decided to hunt and finally kill the feral cat. One morning as we began our breakfast chores he said, "Did you see it?" Now at 5am I seldom see much of anything except the way to a coffee cup and replied, "No! See what?" "The black cat," was the reply. "Where is it?" I asked and heard, "Outside the door you just came in." "Oh! We had better get rid of it before HW2 gets here," I said and knew that meant that I had a quick job ahead. I removed the stiff corpse and buried it along side a dirt path on the property. Later when HW2's brother heard the story, he asked where it was buried. He got a reply,"Amongst the cattails up by the path,of course." Then not to be outdone he started calling me DIGGER, and it stuck. I love the name and think that feral cats should get to lie among the cattails, don't you?

No comments: