Sunday, August 5, 2007

Starting A New High School

Before we were married, HW2 and I were fortunate to be able to help with the opening of LaCueva High School. She was the chairperson of the social studies department, and I was one of three assistant principals. This turned out to be a tremendous amount of work and a great deal of fun as camaradarie quickly developed among the staff, which had been drawn from all over our school system. We managed to open our doors on time and welcome three classes, ninth through eleventh, to their fall semester. We each had secret pals and that meant putting things in their mailboxes to brighten their days, remember birthdays and other events in their lives. That year our Spring Break was late in arriving, and we kept looking for fun things to do. Louella read an article in the newspaper one day that involved a teacher in another state keeping a plumber and two others as love slaves, with a pictures of all persons involved in the sordid tale. She posted it on the faculty room bulletin board but with a change, as my picture had been substituted for the plumber. Since, generally, I was one of the first people to get to the school each morning, I saw the posted newspaper article before most of the rest of the faculty. Not to be outdone, by noon, I had taken the article to the library, found pictures of three of the faculty including HW2, copied them, and placed the newly adapted article back up on the faculty room bulletin board and went about my work. No one ever found out who put the article up there, and since it was about me, it just could not have been my doing. HW2 is my love slave still to this day, only I'm her love slave, too! Ain't love grand?

1 comment:

sperlonga said...

Aw what a cute story!! So you're a plumber, too?