Thursday, August 23, 2007

"I need that for my business!"

My mother is really a remarkable woman. She is currently 94 years old, lives in her two story home of many years, drives, and prefers to mow her acre of lawn herself. She has begun to slow down a bit, but she still manages to tire out all of her four children and still be ready to go or to play cards. We enjoy playing cards, but Mom is a formidable opponent and takes her card playing seriously. None of us even tries to play Bridge with her, so she plays that game with her friends on a monthly basis. We do play Shanghai Rummy, though, and in this game a player will ask to take a card out of turn and also take a penalty card. When mom is in the game, and it is up to her whether you can take a card out of turn, she frequently replies, "No, I need that for my business." She also has an expression that she uses, "It would be all right with me ....." This usually occurs when we travel together, and she could use the restroom or thinks that it is time for a meal. Usually exactly at noon we will hear, "It would be all right with me if we stopped for lunch." The funny thing is that she has an internal clock and knows exactly when noon is no matter what time zone she might be in at the time. So, we stop and eat, of course.

1 comment:

sperlonga said...

The new stained glass leaves me speechless!! I love those colors!