Friday, August 24, 2007

Hiding Stuff

I come from a long line of people who hide stuff. It seems to come naturally. A while back we got a small safe which came with instructions, including a card on which was printed the combination. Now that is an important item to keep, preferably not in the safe. Combination is committed to memory, and the card is put in another safe place. Time goes by; la la la la la la (thought you might want music as time went by). "Do you remember the combination to the safe?" I asked HW2, "No!" the firm reply. Where did you hide the combination slip?" By now she is aware of my tendency to hide stuff. So began the odyssey of looking in the usual suspect places for hidden things. This time no luck at all, and we needed to get into the safe since we had sold a car, and the title for the car was in the safe, naturally. Ultimately, I lugged the safe to another car, took it to a locksmith who looked up the registration number of the safe and then opened it. So, problem solved, but where did I hide that pesky card with the combination? As months pass by we kept searching with no luck. Finally, we were doing some spring cleaning, which in our bedroom required washing the curtains. I called them the puffy curtains, as they were stuffed with paper to make them puff out. Clever, huh? I innocently asked if the stuffing needed to come out and got, "What do you think?" Apparently thinking was not part of my intention. So, I pulled out the stuffing, and you guessed it, out came the combination card. Now when looking for something, I frequently get, "Have you looked in the puffy curtains?" Add this place to the places you search if you hide stuff, too.

1 comment:

sperlonga said...

WHY would you HIDE the combination? Why didn't you just file it away in some safe place? You're crazy. Do you put your car title under the cushions in the couch? Oh, I bet you have a stash under your mattress!!! Enjoy the cool!