Friday, August 3, 2007

Married People Games

HW2 and I have been married eighteen years this week. To me it seems like we got married yesterday, or that we have always been married. Now we finish each others thoughts, which could be scary, I guess, and makes me wonder whether we need to talk at all. But as most couples do, we carry on a continuing conversation, in spite of knowing the other had just thought of the same thing. When we lived in NM and were out and about and would finally get home, we would compare numbers of people we saw that we knew to see who the winner was for that day. It would go like, "I saw 5." "Well, I saw 7." Or, "you can't count so and so because..." Then the adjusted tally was made, and the winner announced. Our best friend in CT was visiting us one time when the fall balloon festival was taking place, and so of course, we went early in the morning to watch this colorful ascension of balloons. Phyllis finally asked us what our calling out numbers meant, eg., "There's 1," or "I am up to 3," and we explained. Pretty soon she wandered off, saw the President of the University of NM, whom she had met, and went up to him announcing that she now had one, too. Whether this mystified the man or not we never knew ,but we were delighted to add Phyllis to our game. Last week, coming out of a mall we saw a friend. Both announced one and in unison, "We have been here too long." Guess it is time to wander on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Judy: You've got to be kidding! You to do act like newly-weds (most of the time!)
And, Charles, I mean Digger, thanks for the credit on the Duffy House piece of stained glass art. Certainly not deserved but appreciated...... and I must say, enjoyed in the window at I-52 by all who are able to see it.