Friday, June 25, 2010

Gordon's walking sticks and canes

I have solved my unsteadiness on my feet which comes and goes. First of all, I have to concentrate when I am walking. Today Foxy and I went to our storage unit to get rid of some stuff and bring other stuff back to the coach when she saw a cane I had bought from fellow work camper, Gordon.

Gordon is a very talented woodworker and makes canes and walking sticks that are just beautiful. Last year I bought a cane from him that had been, in a former life, a stick that had a vine growing around it and that gave a lovely spiral knotted look to the stick. He put a piece of cholla cactus skeleton on it for a handle and sealed the ends of this handle with a fifty cent coin and a silver dollar. It made a perfectly lovely cane, and now it is coming in very handy. I feel that when I am walking that I have just enough support to not feel quite so wobbly. Each day I try to walk a bit further to help get my strength back and tighten up abdomen muscles where the surgeon did his work. This is taking time, but I can gradually see improvement. As niece Joan commented, it all takes time and patience. Happy travels.

No comments: