Thursday, August 19, 2010

I am getting hard of hearing

My hearing is deteriorating, and if there is any background noise at all, I hear less and less. I find myself getting closer to the speaker and frequently asking for a repetition of some comment. In church the echo is hard, and that seems to interfere with what I hear. We do sit up close to the front, and that helps. Best of all though, I find myself trying to make sense of what I hear, and the result is not always anywhere close to the actuality. So then I comment on what I think I heard and find that was not at all what was said. When I get really old, maybe I will look into getting hearing aids. I am not that old yet. However, just remember that I am making up what I think you said, and that is frequently not exactly correct. Bear with me and contribute to my hearing aid fund, if you must. You can also tell me that I really am that old. But, I won't hear you say it. Happy travels.

No comments: