Monday, February 25, 2008

Cars I Have Owned

This may seem a bit crazy, but I was thinking about the cars I have owned and will list them here: 2 Trailblazers, 3 Suburbans, 2 Mustangs, 1 kit car, 3 Chryslers, l Mitsubishi, l Mazda truck, l Mercury wagon, 3 Volkswagens, l Ford, 1 Rambler, and 1 Datsun. The Ford was the first car and needed constant repair. The Chryslers were the most fancy until we got into Suburbans. The Mustangs were the most fun to drive, although the kit car caused a lot of attention since it looked like a 1929 convertible with a long bonnet, but it needed engine work. The Volkswagons were practical until the family grew too large. They all had their good and bad points. The Suburbans were the most comfortable ride although the Trailblazers are a close second. The most I owned at one time was three but we are down to one these days and do not need to have more.

I remember as a kid cutting out cars pictures from magazines and dreaming of the day when I would get my own car. I love to dicker and to trade cars but did not always like the endless car payments that were part of the process. I think that I like red or maroon colors for cars the best and six of these cars fell into that category including the current one. I do think a black Cadillac would be very classy but have never owned a Cadillac or a black car. One of the Chryslers was an Imperial and with its 484 horsepower could really tool down the road. That was a fun car to drive. When it was driven between a light pole and a fence and died, I was very sad and wanted to kill my son, who took the blame but was not driving, his friend was. That is another story, and I can get sad to this day over the demise of that car.

I think that many of us are tied up in some ways with our cars in terms of color, speed, and prestige of the name. I guess as we get more concerned with global warming, the new bragging points will become gas mileage and alternative fuel abilities. Change is a fact of life, but I will continue to dream of the 1967 gold Mustang convertible I once owned. I do miss that car.

2 comments:

C and J said...

And I do miss our cute little red Mustang convertible!!!!XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

Bill bought an orange volkswagon in 1972 and drove it for seven years. He purchased it used for $1400.00 and sold it seven years later for $1100.00. It was a fun car and cheap, but the heater was a pain in the winter time!!!!!

Joetta