Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Five Favorite Cities to Visit in This Country

I guess I am doing the 'five' thing. Well, I would like to give you my five favorite cities to visit in this country: Washington D.C., San Francisco, New York City, Santa Fe, and Chicago.

I like (1) Washington because it is our nation's capital, and the buildings and monuments just keep getting better and better. The recent addition of the WWII monument is beautifully done and well worth the visit. The many Smithsonian Museums can be visited again and again. Touring the White House or Capitol, wonderful.

There is a special air about (2) San Francisco, and you feel it whether you drive in on the Golden Gate Bridge, ride the trolleys, or visit China Town. I have a latent fear of the great earthquake while I am visiting, and that seems to add to the excitement of the visit. There are wonderful vistas and the winding shortest street (Lombard Street) is a gem and fun to drive down.

(3) New York City really does seem to be the city that never sleeps. The man- made canyons are spectacular, and the crowds and deli's wonderful. The subway system works well, as does the bus system. There are many museums to visit, and, finally, there is the always-spectacular Central Park. What's not to visit?

Santa Fe (4) is in its own league. If you appreciate fine art, you will see it here. The New Mexican architecture and ristras and ever present brown, brown, brown are an invitation to give expression to your own artistic bent. Best of all is the New Mexican cuisine, and, finally, the friendly people who help you get from place to place.

I like Chicago (5) because it seem to epitomize the American city. Ride the elevated train, visit the wonderful ethnic restaurants, or take a drive along the Gold Coast or North Shore, and you are in for a treat. Let me know of your favorite city, and maybe I will lengthen this list a bit! Happy travels!

No comments: